Monday 4 October 2010

Easy Peasy Smoky Eyes


If I'm being honest I'm a bit scared of smoky eyes... When applied wrong it can look a bit Taylor Momsen (Eeeek!) but if done right, it can look really glamorous and sultry. Well, I've managed to find a way to achieve it with minimal effort and maximum impact! 

This was my first proper go at it so it's by no means perfect... and I still haven't plucked up the courage to leave the house with it on... Maybe one day!

I used: Urban Decay Primer Potion, Urban Decay Naked Palette, L'Oreal Millionize Mascara, Gosh Liquid Eyeliner, Black Khol


HOW I DID IT
After applying a primer on the eyelids, dab a black shadow, like Gunmetal with a flat brush up to the crease (DON'T GO ABOVE THE CREASE - we're not going for a Panda look here). Extend the eyeshadow out with a pointed brush so it creates a winged out effect.

With a small fluffy brush apply a neutral colour, like Naked to blend out any harsh edges.Apply liquid liner on the top eyelid for extra definition and wing it out.

Apply a black khol or eyeliner to the bottom eyelids and smudge with a pointy brush or your fingers. Add a highlight, like Sin, to the tearduct. Or for more of a cat eye join the eyeliner. 

Apply a generous amount of volumising mascara then finish the look off with a matt bronzer to contour and a highlight on the top of the cheekbones. 

I also applied MAC Lipstick in Blankety to help offset the intensity of the smoky eyes. 

This look is quite strong because it's ultimately a solid black on your eyes, but it can be softened with a highlight. Once I master a 'proper' smoky eye I will definitely post it (but don't hold your breath!)

What do you guys think? How do you do your smoky eye?

Sami x

6 comments:

  1. I really like it on you, helps bring out your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its really lovely and looks damn easy. cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look stunning! black makes my eyes look even smaller.. if only i had big eyes! looks awesome on you though ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls! I'm learning to embrace the smoky eye ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really nice on you! :)
    what brand eyeshadows did you use for the look?

    Malisha x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe thanks... the Urban Decay Naked Palette - it's got all the colours I need! xx

    ReplyDelete